12.04.2018

Checkpoint and dosimetry point "Dityatki"

Checkpoint and dosimetry point "Dityatki"

is the main checkpoint to the territory of the Exclusion Zone. It was named in honour of the village of Dityatki of Ivankovsky (former Chernobyl) district near which it is located. The village of Dityatki, known since 1864, turned out to be exactly on the border of the 30-kilometer Zone on the Ivankov-Chernobyl road, and was the best suited location for the deployment of the KDP and the personnel of the USSR Ministry of Defence’s chemical forces, that were involved in the dosimetric reconnaissance and decontamination of polluted areas.

Photo and video

Checkpoint and dosimetry point "Dityatki" is the main checkpoint to the territory of the Exclusion Zone. It was named in honour of the village of Dityatki of Ivankovsky (former Chernobyl) district near which it is located. The village of Dityatki, known since 1864, turned out to be exactly on the border of the 30-kilometer Zone on the Ivankov-Chernobyl road, and was the best suited location for the deployment of the KDP and the personnel of the USSR Ministry of Defence’s chemical forces, that were involved in the dosimetric reconnaissance and decontamination of polluted areas.

Its main tasks are the government control of persons and vehicles visiting the Zone, and preventing the export of open sources of ionizing radiation, unaccounted material, and technical resources beyond the protected perimeter. For this reason, representatives of the police, the National Guard, and the dosimetry service are serving at the checkpoint.

When entering the Exclusion Zone, the police conduct passport checks of visitors, inspect their personal belongings to prevent trafficking of prohibited items, and inspect vehicles.

Upon departure, to avoid the movement of radioactive substances beyond the perimeter of the Exclusion Zone, passengers are checked by walking through automatic dosimetry control detectors, and motor vehicles are checked manually by the employees of the dosimetry service, in addition to the automatic check.

After the checkpoint, the main transport artery of the Exclusion Zone begins - the Dityatki-Chernobyl-ChNPP route. Thoroughly rebuilt and expanded in 1986, for the needs of the accident liquidators, the road connected the perimeter of the 30-kilometer Zone, the main settlement of the liquidators (“Green Cape”), the city of Chernobyl, and the ChNPP industrial site. To prevent the passage of contaminated vehicles from the 10-kilometer Zone through the centre of Chernobyl town, a special bypass was built around it.

The construction of the whole 56 km long track was carried out at an accelerated pace, and took only 1.5 months, but cost the Soviet authorities a record 14 million rubles.