Lubech- 1

Abandoned secret city

     Lyubech-1 (or Rassudov) is a village in Ukraine, in Repkinsky district of the Chernihiv region. 57 km west of Chernigov. The soldiers were resettled here in the autumn of 1976.


     The OHRS complex was part of the allied air defense system, which was intended to track the launch of missiles from the United States during the Cold War.


     The over-the-horizon radar station (OHRS) had to detect intercontinental ballistic missiles at their starting outbreak, which gave the Soviet command 15-20 minutes to respond, and worked on the basis of the reflection of the radio signal from the ionosphere.


     In Lubech-1 a transmitting antenna was placed, which transmitted a radio signal beyond the horizon line mapping from the ionosphere, the signal marked the object, and returned to the receiving radar which was located in Chernobyl-2 (Duga-1).


     In Soviet times, there was a small town for the garrison serving a transmitting antenna that was part of the Chernobyl-2 (Duga-1) radar complex.


     From Lubech-1 to the Chernobyl NPP is about 50 kilometers if to take straight, so this territory did not fall under the Exclusion Zone.


     The radar Lubech-1, in its size had a much smaller scale than the radar complex Duga-1 (Chernobyl-2). To this day it has not survived, was disposed in the early 2000s.


     Lubech-1 was designated on Soviet topographic maps as a recreation center.


     The town for workers had all the necessary infrastructure for a comfortable life. If in the town of Chernobyl-2 the technical zone and the zone for servicing military personnel were located on the same territory, in Lubech-1 the technical zone was a couple of kilometers from the residential part. The technical zone had a checkpoint, two antennas, a large and a small, communication center, several auxiliary buildings, and a transformer substation. In the city there were: a school, dormitories, five-story residential buildings, a canteen, a club.


"Russian woodpecker"

     NATO military men called Duga - Russian Woodpecker, because when they switched on the radar installation, characteristic knocks began to sound on the air in almost all European countries. The antenna interfered with civil aviation and the ships of European countries, due to the coincidence of terrestrial frequencies. Until 1985, Duga underwent a series of improvements and modifications, and in 1986 began to undergo a state inspection, which was interrupted by the accident at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant. From the very beginning of the project, the antenna was designed to identify point-of-flight launches of ballistic missiles, but this task was never accomplished. In the course of experimental achievements and developments, the radar could fix, but only the launches of mass rockets.


     After the accident at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant, the complex ceased to operate, because the Chernobyl receiver fell under radioactive contamination. Here for some time the military unit number A3330 was stationed. After the dissolution, most people were evicted.


     The Lubech-1 antenna complex was successfully dismantled in 2005, by means of blasting operations.


     Now the place is abandoned. But the apartments, unlike in Chernobyl-2, are excellent. Whole batteries, windows, roof does not leak. There is a checkpoint and the territory is guarded.

Don't rush to close the page

Are you sure you have familiarized yourself with all the offers and promotions of our company?