03.09.2019

The village Stechanka

Forgotten village of Chornobyl Exclusion Zone

     Stechanka - a former village located in the west of the former district centerбthe city of Chernobyl, at a distance of 25 km.

 

     The village of Stechanka has been known since the beginning of the 17th century. According to legend, the village was founded by one of the representatives of the Stetskikh family. And it was named after its founder.

     The village was the ancient administrative, cultural and religious center of this region.

 

     In the village, in 1634, wooden church of the Blessed Virgin Mary's Assumption was built. Date of construction of the church, was painted with a brush on the iconostasis. After the last years, in 1733, the church was restored. In the middle of the XVIII century, representatives of the Stetskikh family were buried here. The Stetsky clan had their own palace in the village in which they lived permanently. Over time, the church was in disrepair, and in 1860 it was dismantled. A new wooden church of the Blessed Virgin Mary's Assumption with a bell tower was built on the site of the Stetskikh palace in 1855. There was a parochial school at the temple. The church was destroyed in Soviet times. On the place of the temple a club was built.

 

     Not only Orthodox, but also Catholics lived in the village of Stechanka — in 1886 there were 556 Orthodox, 53 Catholics, and 50 Jews. The population of the village in the middle of the XX century was about 1,200 people.

 

     Village Council Stechanka subordinated settlement Razyezzhe. The central estate of the "Victory" collective farm was located in Stechanka. An eight-year school, a house of culture, a shop, a library, a maternity hospital functioned in the village as well.

     The population before the accident - 905 people. Evacuation took place on May 4, 1986.

 

     After the accident at the Chernobyl NPP, the population of Stechanka village was resettled in the village of Paskovschina of Zgurovsky district, Kyiv region.

     The village partially burned down in the middle of the 90s.

 

     Excursions to the Chernobyl Zone, the city of Chernobyl, Chernobyl NPP, Pripyat.

     The Chernobyl Zone is very rich in history. In 1986, about 80 settlements were evacuated. Each village of the Polesia Territory has a special appearance, safety and indescribable atmosphere. Our team of professionals in CHERNOBYL ADVENTURE, will not only tell you about these places, but also show you the most secret corners of the restricted area. Chernobyl Exclusion Zone - is the open-air monument (museum). At one point, everything stopped at around April 26th. People resettled, and the objects remained.

     We invite you to visit these unique objects: Duga-1 radar station for tracking missile launches in the United States during the Cold War; the Jupiter plant in Pripyat, which was rumored to produce not only radio engineering, but also systems for the defense needs of the USSR; the unfinished 5th power unit of the ChNPP; equipment of liquidators and much more.